As a sport, wrestling develops discipline, resilience, and leadership while teaching student-athletes about nutrition and physical wellness. The Hagerstown wrestling program promotes personal responsibility and accountability, with a focus on building strength of character as well as physical strength.
Staff Profile and Bio
Head Wrestling Coach
Anton Payne has served as the varsity wrestling coach at Hagerstown for the past six seasons.
Coach Payne is also an alumnus of Hagerstown and the wrestling program. During his time as a student-athlete, he won three TEC and three sectionals and qualified for four regionals, three semi-states and one state final.
After high school, Coach Payne studied business in college and then joined the United States Air Force, wrestling all around the country in Freestyle and Greco.
Coach Payne started his coaching career while based in Florida by volunteering at a local high school. After leaving active duty, Coach Payne moved back to the local area and began assisting in coaching in New Castle, Indiana. While at New Castle, he helped coach many student-athletes to the state competition.
Coach Payne returned to Hagerstown to help coach first as a volunteer, then as an assistant coach, finally as head coach. His involvement in the sport of wrestling has covered more than 30 years.
Though our on-the-mat accomplishments are extensive, above all Coach Payne strives to develop good and strong men and women. In this program, coaches and students live under extreme accountability and aim for the development of character over everything else. To this end, Coach Payne believes that he’s done a good job when his wrestlers graduate and become good and responsible adults.
During his tenure as head coach, the Hagerstown wrestling team has seen success on and off the mat, including:
- 2022 Regionals: Rizael Payne, Zach Golliher, Owen Mitchell, Roy Thornbury, Chase Sutherland
- 2022 Semi-state: Chase Sutherland
- 2022 1A/2A: State placer Chase Sutherland (7th place)
- 2021 Regionals: Javin Payne, Bryson Payne
- 2021 Semi-state: Javin Payne
- 2020 Regionals: Guy Shaffer, Javin Payne, Will Castle, Brad Scholl
- 2020 Semi-state: Guy Shaffer, Javin Payne
- 2019 Regionals: Will Castle, Javin Payne, Jake Combs
- 2019 Semi-state: Jake Combs
- 2019 Girls State: Traci Weber
- 2019 State: Jake Combs
- 2018 Regionals: Will Castle, Javin Payne, Jake Combs, Jon Monaghan, Kristan Bates, Cameron Purtha
- 2018 Semi State: Jake Combs, Jon Monaghan
- 2018 Girls State: Traci Weber
- 2017 Regionals: Will Castle, Brandon Purtha, Cameron Purtha, David Castle